Willmott Dixon commissioned Turner & Townsend Suiko to assist with the build of a state-of-the-art Leisure Centre in Romford. Typically constructions of this nature are problematic and are rarely on time and to budget. This project was particularly complicated as an ice rink had been designed at the first floor level directly above the swimming pool.
Phase one: Platform Preparation
Turner & Townsend Suiko and the Willmott Dixon team focussed on identifying potential key project issues with a view to introducing “Operational Excellence” principles. This was achieved through a series of team sessions mapping the build process. The output was a detailed framework with work streams, owners, measures and targets.
An implementation plan for each work stream was then created considering Lean Operational Excellence tools, techniques and behaviours.
Phase two: Implementation
The Willmott Dixon team and the supply chain were engaged with a strong emphasis on collaboration, visual management and problem solving. This was reinforced with hands-on support, training and coaching.
Work stream focus
- Quality Delivery (QD) – to ensure the build was defect free at handover date. Specific activity focussed on air tightness and pool build quality.
- Site Logistics – the site footprint is confined with restricted access and material space. Controls were developed to ensure deliveries followed a JIT principle.
- Process Control – visual daily/weekly/ monthly routines were established to ensure strong collaboration with the Supply Chain Partners (SCP).
- Sequence and Trade Interface – a weekly work package review was installed to encourage potential design clashes to be identified early
- Pre Start Up Meetings – structured to cover key aspects of the SCP requirement
- Weekly Supply Chain Collaborative Sessions – introduced to enable short-term build plans to be discussed and any potential issues actioned.
The team has achieved:
- Leisure Centre opened two months ahead of schedule
- All target budgets achieved
- Defect free at official handover
- Delighted client
©Turner & Townsend Suiko Limited. This content is for general information purposes only and does not purport to constitute professional advice. We do not make any representation or give any warranty, express or implied, and shall not be liable for any losses or damages whatsoever, arising from reliance on information contained in this document.
It must not be made available or copied or otherwise quoted or referred to in whole or in part in any way, including orally, to any other party without our express written permission and we accept no liability of whatsoever nature for any use by any other party.