Vivergo Fuels, is one of Europe’s biggest bioethanol producers and the UK’s largest single-source supplier of animal-feed. Founded in 2007, the plant is an ambitious and groundbreaking joint venture between AB Sugar, BP and DuPont.
The 25-acre plant started production in December 2012. Affected by a number of design and commissioning issues, in year 1 it made a significant loss. Struggling to achieve design speed; led to lower than expected output volumes.
With a dynamic new MD freshly on board T&T Suiko were appointed to help meet a single minded objective – for the plant to achieve design capacity within 12 months.
T&T Suiko were swift to provide an in-depth situation-analysis and solutions-based approach, through the deployment of tried and tested methodologies in 4 primary areas of the business:
- Governance 2. Financial Control 3. CI & Problem Solving 4. Vivergo Way / Business planning
- T&T Suiko Why™ – the compelling business reason to change – profitable growth, control costs, generate extra profits, maximise cash
- T&T Suiko What™ – the practices (tools/ behaviours) – developed in a structured way through 5 Suiko Levels
- T&T Suiko How™ – (the enablers/ accelerate/ sustain change) – structured framework, tools/ behaviours to make-it-happen
A series of work-streams were developed to drive the plan with the appropriate team leaders.
Utilising simple, binary visual measures such as the traffic-light system across the business ensured 100% clarity on actions and outcomes.
Making the difference
Our disciplined approach, focused heavily on optimising skills and expertise within the organisation, creating a clear environment for positive growth.
Huge ‘visible’ performance inroads were achieved in a very short space of time. Within 7 months, the action teams reported significant results with major improvements gained in operational output:
- Operational output volumes doubled
- CIP action team reported £2m cost avoidance outcome /reduced steam costs of £100k per month
- Dryer availability increased by 15% in 4 months
- Financial-control framework in place – reduced month-end processing time by 25%
- 80% of workforce trained in 5-Step Problem Solving
- Company-wide bi-weekly governance meetings
- Vivergo Way /management system
- Increased staff morale
- Design capacity performance targets met within 12 months, in line with overall client objective
- T&T Suiko’s partnership with Vivergo was recognised by the Management Consultancies Association (MCA), and the project was awarded the prestigious ‘Performance Improvement in the Private Sector’ award in 2015
©Turner & Townsend Suiko Limited. This content is for general information purposes only and does not purport to constitute professional advice. We do not make any representation or give any warranty, express or implied, and shall not be liable for any losses or damages whatsoever, arising from reliance on information contained in this document.
It must not be made available or copied or otherwise quoted or referred to in whole or in part in any way, including orally, to any other party without our express written permission and we accept no liability of whatsoever nature for any use by any other party.