The Maintenance Modernisation (MM) Programme is modernising the Asset Operations (AO) directorate, which performs most of London Underground’s maintenance.
Turner & Townsend Suiko were engaged as the Lean Delivery Partner to help transform the REW Workshops & TMU by removing inefficiencies in resources and time. The focus was on growth capability and identifying sustainable cost reductions (whilst maintaining safety and quality KPIs).
- Provide Lean Coaching to:
- Head of NP&S, and Head of Workshops
- Managers and front-line teams
- Business Improvement (BI) team
- Other stakeholders
- Support front-line teams to create ‘Flow’ lines within Workshops and TMU to be able to build products ‘easier, better, faster and therefore cheaper
- Address people, process and capability
- Implement Workshops Visual Management at all levels in the business
- Ensure Lean’s sustainability and cost-effectiveness by teaching (‘learning by doing’) the BI team in Lean mind-sets, tools, and management.
Enabling growth through efficiency, the scope of work was to introduce Lean Thinking to the whole REW team and a focus on Brakes, Bogies, Wheelsets and Rotating Machines
In this unionised environment, we brought Lean thinking, principles and their practical application to life for front-line teams by:
- engaging effectively at all levels
- providing hands-on support
- pinpointing tangible opportunities
- balancing the right mix of tools and behaviours
There were 5 elements to our approach:
- Visible leadership and direction (targets) from Head of Workshops and managers – focussed on results (savings and capacity growth) and practices (processes and behaviours)
- Front-line teams applying Visualisation and the right Lean steps in the right order
- Creating a 1-piece flow mind set to reduce waste, grow capacity and reduce costs (doing it with them not to them)
- Lean Training – shop floor training using Lean exercises to ‘learn by doing’
- Lean roll-out reinforced throughout –adapting to local challenges, celebrating successes and continuously improving through lessons learned.
Making the difference
Lean Coaches helping front-line teams by:
- Driving Efficiency – Using Lean methodologies to identify opportunities whichexceed the savings target and grow the capacity;
- Upskilling Leaders & Teams – Through Lean & Leadership training for Senior Management team, Production Managers and Charge hands, one-piece flow training for all of the above plus shop floor teams.
- Ensuring Sustainability – Through embedding the right mind-sets, capability and operating systems;
- Developing Lean Maturity – Reaching ‘Level 3’, with capability to move beyond:
Potential 6 fold capacity increase in Bogie shop using Lean tools and techniques
Annualised £2.8m saving identified
©Turner & Townsend Suiko Limited. This content is for general information purposes only and does not purport to constitute professional advice. We do not make any representation or give any warranty, express or implied, and shall not be liable for any losses or damages whatsoever, arising from reliance on information contained in this document.
It must not be made available or copied or otherwise quoted or referred to in whole or in part in any way, including orally, to any other party without our express written permission and we accept no liability of whatsoever nature for any use by any other party.