As part of Taylor Woodrow’s continuous improvement programme, Filton was highlighted as the third site to adopt our Daily Review process. The focus was to continue to drive workforce improvements and measure Safety, Quality, Productivity and Manpower, with the view to improve sub-contractor interaction.
Taylor Woodrow had started to introduce some Lean Thinking tools to the Group but the team felt they were not getting the best from the new way of working. T&T Suiko were asked to support the development of the behaviours in the project to realise the true potential.
T&T Suiko focussed on diagnosing performance, identifying opportunities and implementing proven processes for realising productivity improvement and cost recovery.
Opportunities were identified through engaging staff in value stream and process mapping exercises, specifically focussed around the end to end construction activity and effective collaborative planning.
Making the difference
13 Stalled projects were highlighted as an opportunity to improve.
- Within 2 weeks these 13 stalled projects reduced to 2 stalled areas, with clear actions and owners highlighted to reduce this yet further
The team created a ‘Project Brief’ which was used to assign Project owners with clear measures and targets delivering the following:
- Responsibility & Accountability (Area ownerships)
- Effective collaborative planning with day to day tasks
- Performance management and manpower requirements
- Trending analysis, tracking performance.
- Effective escalation process
- Active site daily reviews driving accountability and problem solving
- Weekly management reviews Performance improvements seen
- Number of activities completed rising from approx. 53 per day to over 85 per day.
- Despite the uplift in activities, % completion remains high at over 90% on time.
The 1st Collaborative planning session reduced the build time from 26wks to 22wks.
- Absorbing additional design duration
- Accounted for enabling works completion
- Satisfied NR’s target dates
The 2nd Collaborative planning session delivered a build time reduction of up to 12 weeks.
©Turner & Townsend Suiko Limited. This content is for general information purposes only and does not purport to constitute professional advice. We do not make any representation or give any warranty, express or implied, and shall not be liable for any losses or damages whatsoever, arising from reliance on information contained in this document.
It must not be made available or copied or otherwise quoted or referred to in whole or in part in any way, including orally, to any other party without our express written permission and we accept no liability of whatsoever nature for any use by any other party.