Maplin is a prestigious high street retailer with a commitment to quality customer service, coupled with excellent staff training and development.
To help the business deliver its promise, Turner & Townsend Suiko were engaged to help Maplin challenge the status quo, by reviewing current business practices and assumptions.
Work focused on a 3 phase delivery model, to enable robust control and understanding:
- Phase 1: Data gathering from 20 stores nationwide and collating the results to test business assumptions
- Phase 2: Development and pilot of operating model in 3 stores
- Phase 3: Residential training course and roll-out of operating model to 13 Centres of Excellence (CoE) around the UK and Ireland
Work specifically centred on:
- Evaluating the different operational processes within each store
- Reviewing expert knowledge within the team to develop standard operating procedures to deliver the most effective and efficient way to complete the task
- Coaching the project team and shop management to develop skills to engage colleagues and sustain the process long term
- Developing a capacity model to ensure the right resource in-store when needed
- Daily store performance reviews with a focus on soft targets to develop staff and serve the customer better
- Delivering a 4-day residential training course for the operating model, including material and activities for store management from each CoE (UK and Ireland)
- Roll-out of the operating model to 13 CoE centres, including site visits, coaching and improvement targets
Making the difference
- Developed a team of Maplin stores managers to project lead status within the business, beyond the project
- Daily presence and focus in each pilot store to keep a hands on approach with the management and colleagues
- Developed a communications plan within the business to keep all the stakeholders involved and updated
- Created a strategic vision for the project and for roll-out in the designated pilot stores
- Average Transactional Value is up by £1.50 in the CoE stores against the pre 12 weeks
- A huge growth which if replicated would exceed growth targets
- This ATV growth consistently beat other regions week in week out
- All other key performance measures have demonstrated improvements
In the CoE stores:
- Multi-sales have increased
- Footfall is up in the CoE stores against the regional average
- Refunds have lowered
- Most stores have shown a better Items Per Bill against the regions
- The engagement also saw a like-for-like growth improvement against last year’s figures
©Turner & Townsend Suiko Limited. This content is for general information purposes only and does not purport to constitute professional advice. We do not make any representation or give any warranty, express or implied, and shall not be liable for any losses or damages whatsoever, arising from reliance on information contained in this document.
It must not be made available or copied or otherwise quoted or referred to in whole or in part in any way, including orally, to any other party without our express written permission and we accept no liability of whatsoever nature for any use by any other party.